Considered the “roof of western Sicily” and situated to the left of the Poma lake and the right of the river Caldo, the municipality of Alcamo lies on the slopes of Mount Bonifato, extending from there right down to the sea and the Gulf of Castellammare. It is a lively city with many events to enjoy and things to see, such as the Chiesa Madre, the hot springs and the beach.
Chosen by the Elymians, Romans and Byzantines for its strategic position on the western access roads to Palermo, it was nevertheless the Arabs that gave it the name Alqamah and its status of hamlet. The first significant settlement there was formed around the castle. Today the city enjoys a regular network of streets branching off the length of the main street, VI Aprile. The street’s name celebrates the glorious day in 1860, when Alcamo took a leading role in the liberation of the island by declaring a provisional anti-Bourbonic government and opening its doors to Garibaldi. Amongst its distinguished citizens is the poet Ciullo D’Alcamo, author of one of the oldest documents in Italian literature, the contrasto “Fresh and Very Perfumed Rose”; Sebastiano Bagolino, poet and painter; Agostino Pantò, founder of the Giustinianea Academy; and Giuseppe Renda.
Local government offices: Piazza Ciullo, 91011 Alcamo (TP)
Public Relations Office:
c/o The Church of St. Nicholas of Bari
60, Corso VI Aprile, Alcamo
Tel/Fax: 0924 590219
Freephone number: 800 011 539
Local police: 0924 590401 0924 502833